Mon, 17 Oct, 2016
The number of assignments is depended on the credit of the course. The details are as follows:
|Credits ||Counseling sessions ||Assignments|
|2 ||3 ||3 |
|4 ||6 ||3 |
|6 ||9 ||3 |
|8 ||12 ||3 |
Note: 1. A session is of 2 hours of teaching
2. A student must submit 3 assignments for each course.
1. Instructions for Assignments
As a part of program of study the learner will have to do Tutor Marked Assignments (TMAs) for each course. Each assignment has descriptive category questions. These questions are meant for writing essay type answers, with an introduction and a conclusion. These are intended to test the learner`s ability to describe his/her understanding and knowledge about the topic in a systematic and coherent manner. They are meant to test his/her ability to distinguish, compare and contrast, or clear understanding of concepts and processes. The learner needs to write all the assignments within the stipulated time for being eligible to appear in the term-end examination.
It is important that the learner should write the answer in his/her own words. The learner`s answers should be within the approximate range of the word-limit set for a particular section.
The assignment should be submitted to the Coordinator of his/her information Centre. The learner must obtain a receipt from the information Centre for the assignments submitted and retain it. If possible, he may keep a Xerox copy of the assignments with him.
The information Centre will have to return the assignments to the learner after they are evaluated. The information Centre has to send the marks to the Coordinator-Schools of Studies, Directorate of Distance Education, Vinayaka Missions University, Salem 636 308 within prescribed period.
2. Assignment Submission Schedule
For all programs which are more than one year, assignments are submitted quarterly. For certificate courses, assignments are submitted monthly.
3. Guidelines for doing Assignments
The learner has to answer each question as per guidelines for each category as mentioned in the assignment. The following points will be useful in writing the assignment:
1) Planning: Read the assignments carefully, go through the Units in Self-Instructional Materials on which they are based. Make some points regarding each question and then rearrange them in a logical order.
2) Organisation: Be a little selective and analytic before drawing up a rough outline of your answer. Give adequate attention to your introduction and conclusion. Make sure that your answer: a) is logical and coherent; b) has clear connections between sentences and paragraphs, and c) is written correctly giving adequate consideration to your expression, style and presentation.
3) Presentation: Once you are satisfied with your answer, you can write down the final version for submission, writing each answer neatly and underlining the points you wish to emphasize. Make sure that the answer is within the stipulated word limit.